Sunday, September 6, 2009

In Loving Memory...





My Family First met Nellie when Jake first started at PLU back in 1997. Jake played Football and Nellie worked with the incoming Freshman (Bombers). Nellie was born with Arthrogryposis, a disease which locked his joints from the neck down. While he faced an extremely difficult life he finally found happiness with the PLU Football Program in 1989 working with the young men that went through the program.


I still remember my brother calling us and sharing that he had fed John and the two quickly bonded. I remember that Nellie never thought as himself as disabled. He always wanted to be one of the guys and had an amazing sense of humor and smile. I remember when the guys all camped over one time he wanted to sleep in the tent in a sleeping bag just like the others.


In our Family we celebrate Birthdays with presents, a special dinner, cake and decorations and we celebrated Nellie's Birthday too. I will never forget his smile as we presented him with a homeade Birthday Cake. Or the day when I got seperated from my family after an Post Game Afterglow he helped me to find them again. I remember running to him crying because I knew nobody else and he calmed me down and told me we would find them. My Mom always brought John a Pepsi every game it was his favorite. Everytime I see a Gordita from Taco Bell I think of Nellie and how he would say GORDIITAAA like they said in the commercials. Silly, I know. At weddings he would be bop in his chair and the women would gather around him.
Rain, Snow or Sun he was on that sideline watching his boys play. He went everywhere, watched everything and greeted everyone. He carried a Blind's stick in his mouth and could type fast and extremely long emails with amazing spelling and grammer. He never forgot you and I would love when he commented on my facebook page.


But quite possibly my favorite John Nelson moment would be in September of 2001. Jake's Senior year and the team was playing Azusa Pacific in California. On Sunday we all went to Disneyland and Nellie got to ride Splash Mountain for the first time. His boat was behind us and I clearly can remember him laughing and smiling getting ready to go down the first hill and the happiness and excitement as he came out of his boat at the end of the ride. In a life that started with no promise these young men gave him the chance of a lifetime. They carted him everywhere they went and treated him no different than themselves.
Nellie was humble, thankful and a great man of God.His dream was to play football in heaven and I know that he has been living it up ever since he got there.


Rest in Peace Nellie. You will be greatly missed by all, but your laughter, smile, and blessings you stored upon all you met will be remembered forever. I feel so blessed to have even known you.


I encourage you to click this link and learn more about this incredible man.http://www.nwcn.com/video/sports-index.html?nvid=393850&shu=1

No comments:

Post a Comment