As a history major, I write alot of papers...In fact, our senior exit class is just 10 weeks of researching and writing a 20-25 page paper. You quickly learn who the easy and hard paper graders are, and as I have chosen to take the majority of my classes in American History, I get the same professors. I have had Dr. Blair the most..4 times. I love her. I think she is a fantastic lecturer and prof. But I have always struggled with writing papers in her class. Sophomore year I got C's on two papers I worked extremely hard on. Last quarter I got a B on a paper I thought was stellar. I wrote a paper in haste on the day I thought was due...suprise I had left class early and did not know that the paper was due the next week. I got an extra opportunity to re-edit. We then came to class and had our peers revise and edit and we had the opportunity to go home and make even more changes. My paper recieved ALOT of criticism from my peers. I read other papers who I thought were overwritten, and some that made me think I had misinterpreted the assignment. I went home again and revised, re-edited and luckily caught that my paper was in present tense when it should be in past. I thought about changing a lot of things, but as I had alot of other homework to do...I left it, changed what I could and turned it in..worried about the grade.
I had to meet with Dr. Blair on Monday to go over next quarters schedule. When I came into the office the secretary was photocopying my paper...umm why? was it that bad? Was she going to use it as a dont ever do this! example? did she think I plagerized? what the heck? When she came out to get me she told me I had a great paper! I was shocked speechless! She told me it was well put together, well constructed, well written and that she was impressed!
She wrote on my paper that I had confident writing, and that my paper was coherent which was hard to pull off, and that it was a strong tightly constructed examination and that I stuck to my themes. At the bottom...my coveted A.
Im so so so happy and proud of myself that I just simply had to brag a little bit! :)
now I have a lot to live up to.. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment