Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Looking Back

I remember after my Viking softball career was over I sat almost catatonic in front of the TV glued to the NCAA Softball World Series knowing that after that summer my Softball career would be over. It has been tradition ever since. It brings back amazing softball memories. Thinking back I had awesome experiences and played for one of the greatest coaches and programs in the entire state of Washington. While it certainly wasnt always easy it was an experience I wouldnt trade for anything...
  • 2003 Big League State Champions (District 8) where I scored the tying run in our first game, had an RBI in the championship game, and caught the final out. My name was in the paper which was very exciting at the time! We took third at Divisionals that year
  • JV Captain for IHS in 2003 and 2004
  • My first call to play for Varsity after I had minor foot surgery, ignoring the doctor and had my first RBI, recorded two outs at second, and busted a stitch in my foot (so worth it!) Got my first score in the paper that game! (Having to fight and earn my way to Varsity definitely made me more determined and a better softball player)
  • Being a member of the 2004 4A State Championship Team. I never set foot on the field but being in the dugout was good enough for me. I was apart of History. Fighting back to win 3 games against 3 tough teams to even get to state and then owning at state was incredible. There is something to be said about being the underdog!
  • 2004 Voted Most Inspirational. JV team.
  • Big League hosted Divisionals 2004 we placed third. Again. To Alaska. I had a line drive that bounced off my glove with two outs which loaded the bases. The next batter hit a triple. We lost 5-4 (one of those not so great moments!) Kendra and Stacy still remind me about it to this day. I still have nightmares. HaHa
  • Senior Night. Having all of us Seniors on the field at the same time was incredible. I had known most of these girls since elementary school. It was a great moment with them all.
  • 2005 -Placed Second at the Big League State Tournament. Coach named me MVP for my excellent defense and team leadership (I had a designated hitter). I will never forget our 11 inning game in the extreme heat and playing tight D. The double Plays that Stacy, Rachel, Lorraine, and I had between 2B and 1B that saved runs. My most exciting moment I remember is the behind the bag grab I had and quick throw to 2B to stop the go-ahead-run. We lost to a team that had illegal girls from Oregon on it. I still feel bad that they felt they had to cheat their way through the game.







To say softball was my life is an understatement. I loved playing for Inglemoor. I loved playing Big League where I got to be a starter and was a team leader. I made some of my best friends playing for D8. It allowed me to maintain my skills and continuous learning without having to join a traveling team. I miss it everyday. I miss the challenge. The sprinting, stair running, lunges, jump-roping, Viking Pride, and 285's. I miss the rivalrys, the anxiousness of a close game, and pure excitement over a victory, and the let down of a heartbreaking loss. I miss the inside jokes, the pre-game rituals, the superstitions, and random hilarious moments that only your teammates laugh at and understand. And I am thankful for the wonderful experiences and memories I have!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment